- About me
- Why This Blog
- Objectives: What I aim to accomplish
- Core Beliefs and Convictions
All too often we stand on the sidelines watching and listening as ‘Holy Spirit superstars’ prophecy, preach, teach, cast out demons, and heal the sick. But that’s not Jesus’ desire or design for His followers.
Our conviction is this: That Jesus desires to baptize ordinary Christians with the Holy Spirit empowering each of us to minister in His Name, thereby advancing the gospel for His glory!
We are ordinary people learning together to stay-in-step with the Holy Spirit.
Join the adventure!
I am a follower of Jesus Christ who has tasted the goodness of God and the powers of the age to come. Each ‘taste’ leaves me hungering for more.
After graduating from Wheaton College in 1972 with a BA in History I enrolled in Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA, and graduated in 1975 with an M.Div. (Master of Divinity). In the early 1990s I returned to Fuller to work on my D.Min. (Doctorate of Ministry). Following a delightful journey – really, I loved it! – I graduated in 1997. Hence, my formal title is Rev. Dr. Philip J. Noordmans.
In many ways I am a very ordinary person who has received grace upon grace.
Why This Blog
Why am I hosting a blog on the Person and work of the Holy Spirit?
- Not because I have Him all figured out
- Not because I know a secret formula designed to initiate you into power ministry
- Not because I need a following or need something more to do in my spare time
- Not because I am – or dream of becoming – a Holy Spirit superstar
But because I sense a calling from God to pass on what He has been teaching me about a Spirit-empowered life.
The Holy Spirit is a Person who is powerful! … and so much more.
But it’s not all about me.
This space for you, too.
- Share your stories
- Ask questions
- Interact with others
We warmly welcome and encourage people who are seasoned in the things of the Spirit to contribute to this site as a way of raising-up and nurturing the next generation of Spirit-empowered servants of Jesus Christ. But this site is not just for the elders among us: it is also for young men and women who desire to go deeper and grow stronger in their walks with the Holy Spirit.
Hence, HolySpiritEmpowers.com is both a ‘class room’ for trustworthy teaching and a ‘learning lab’ where folks newer to the thing of the Spirit can interact, experience affirmation (and, when necessary, correction), learn and grow. Let us interact with one another in a manner that is patient and wise, under the authority of Scripture, for the glory of God and advancement of the gospel.
Let’s learn from the Lord through His Word as well as through one another.
… ordinary people living in submission to Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, serving together for the glory of God. Now, that’s a world-changing adventure!
Objectives: What I aim to accomplish
1. To honor and please Jesus Christ
One of the ministries of the Holy Spirit is to point people to Jesus Christ. Jesus declared, “He [the Holy Spirit] will glorify me,” (John 16:14, ESV) – and that’s why, ironically, it is difficult to focus on the Holy Spirit: He remains committed to pointing our attention away from Himself and toward Jesus Christ.
2. To stay true to Scripture
Scripture, not experience, is our standard. The Bible remains our final authority for faith and practice.
- We accept teachings and practices that harmonize with Scripture
- We reject those that do not
- And we pray for wisdom to know the difference
3. To advance the gospel
4. To shape the thinking and practice of this generation and the next in matters pertaining to the Person and work of the Holy Spirit
Jesus has called, equipped, and gifted me to serve as a teacher in the Body of Christ, and the format of this blog will reflect that calling. I feel compelled to pass-on what I have learned – and am learning – so that together we might be built-up for the glory of God.
But it is not all about me. Hence, objective #5:
6. To give others a platform to express their views and interact with one another in matters pertaining to Scripture and to the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives, ministries, and world.
I am not the ‘final word.’ Rather, I am an ordinary person who has learned much through study and experience, and who has much more to discover. By working together we will become better equipped to serve Jesus with skill and wisdom. The questions and comments, stories and perspectives that we share will facilitate learning and growth for all.
Core Beliefs and Convictions
1. The Bible (the 66 books of the Old and New Testament) is our foundation for faith and practice. It is the final authority to which we appeal to settle differences.
2. People are born in sin and need a Savior. In love God the Father sent His Son, Jesus Christ to earth to die for our sins. When we repent and put our faith in Jesus, He forgives us and makes our relationship with God right (i.e., the Father reconciles us to Himself through Christ’s blood shed for our redemption).
3. God is triune: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
4. God the Father is creator, designer, and sustainer of all things.
5. Jesus is Lord!
6. The Holy Spirit is a Person who is powerful! … and so much more.
7. In our day there are legitimate expressions for all the spiritual gifts mentioned in Scripture. There are also counterfeits and abuses.
The gifts included in Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, and Ephesians 4 are not the only gifts included in Scripture and not the only gifts available to Christians today. There are more, e.g., composing music; leading worship; craftsmanship; hospitality; and, artistic design.
This blog welcomes expressions of a variety of spiritual gifts including, teaching, prophecy, exhortation, encouragement, wisdom, words of knowledge, music, artistic expression, and more.
8. ‘Baptism with the Holy Spirit’ is a Biblical term and concept. Jesus desires to baptize each and every Christian with the Holy Spirit equipping and empowering us for holy living and fruitful service.
9. Jesus is coming again! All those whose names are written in the Book of Life are promised eternal life in God’s blessed presence where there is joy forevermore.
The good way to contact us is by email. phil@HolySpiritEmpowers.com